Possessing the Land from Positive Action for Christ is a bible curriculum for children to study independently through their workbooks, but has plenty of room for discussion through thought provoking questions and leading helps in the Teacher’s Manual.
Possessing the Land offers students a deep study into the Old Testament beginning in Genesis. Children will grasp a much better understanding of the stories of the Old Testament and how they fit together.
The Student Manual includes ($12.95):
- Vocabulary sections
- Words for songs in music curriculum
- Puzzles, artwork, and maps
- Life application sections
- Attractive full-color format
- Various levels & thinking skills
- Material usable with any Bible translation (see my notes about our use)
- Scripture memorization sheet
- 189 pages
The teacher’s manual includes ($33.95):
- 35 lessons (one per week)
- Target truths (objectives)
- Teaching strategy section
- Weekly character traits
- Practical applications
- Interesting stories
- Reproducible weekly quizzes with answer key
- Ideas for puzzles, skits, artwork, buzz groups, and discussion
- Plans for 3, 4, or 5 day Bible class schedules
- Completed student’s manual answer key pages
- Scripture memory program
The Music Cd ($9.95):
- choruses feature children’s singing
- an accompaniment
- the hymns feature accompaniment only
This Bible Study provides emphasis on Study Skills:
- Gathering Facts
Scriptures are used throughout helping:
- students study HIS-Story (God’s History)
- children to gain understanding of God’s Thoughts
- learn about the people of the Bible and how it relates to our lives.
This study is meant to be done together, however the student book should be completed independently by the student. After children complete pages, we would have discussions over the information on the pages, many times leading to deeper discussion of the Old Testament.
At the beginning of each lesson vocabulary words are introduced with definitions. Next children look up scripture to answer questions and complete the different activities. At the end of the week, we would work through the quiz (located in the Teacher’s Manual) orally and discuss any other questions. Throughout the week we would do a couple of the character trait activities listed in the teacher’s manual. The teacher’s manual is full of helpful suggestions for further discussions and deeper study.
My oldest found Possessing the Land challenging. Some of the questions seemed to be only answered using a specific version of the bible. One thing I would like to see is what version of the bible they used to write the questions (they state this is usable with any version though). However, this challenge did open up discussion of the different versions of the bible. We learned a lot looking through the four different versions we own to answer the questions. We loved working on the Biblical Maps in the student book. They helped us gain a better understanding of the Lands of the Bible.
If you are looking for a Bible study that is fill in the blank, with lots of room for open discussions, and an emphasis on character, Positive Action for Christ may have a study for your family. They provide studies for K-12, though looking through the website the high school studies would probably very helpful for many adults.
Take a look at what other TOS Crew members had to say about Positive Action for Christ Bible Studies. As a crew we reviewed a variety of products for different ages.
I received Possessing the Land free in return for my honest review. I will receive no further compensation.